Thursday, March 7, 2013

Inspection Failure #2 - Windshield Washers (Original Post: Nov 23, 2011)


I certainly knew that you had to have good windshield wipers to get an inspection sticker, but I didn't know that windshield washers, if fitted, must be operational.  Of course, mine were dead - motor was shot.

On a regular Z3 Roadster, you can buy a Chinese washer pump from eBay for about 10 bucks, including shipping.  But, of course, the Coupe is different - it has a wiper and washer on the back window also, so the pump is unique, with two outlets and the ability to pump front or back, depending on the polarity of the voltage applied to the two contacts.  That is a BMW-only part, and it cost 72 bucks, even with my BMWCCA discount!  Holy moley!


But I bought it, and spent another 22 for a new back wiper blade and insert.  Here's the pump:



When I took that picture, I hadn't realized yet that I needed to pull that right angle connector off and reuse it, but I figured it out.  When I bought the new pump, the parts guy was sharp enough to know that I needed a little strainer too.  Sure enough, mine was broken in two when I removed the pump.  If you are doing this on your Z3, the part number for that strainer is 61-66-7-006-063.

Once I hooked up the pump, it worked!  BUT.... then washer solution ran from underneath the under-hood sound mat.  Something was leaking.  Turns out there are little anti-drain-back values on each sprayer, to keep the washer solution right at the outlet for immediate spraying, and they were leaking on both sides.  I bought two, for the extremely un-BMW-like price of $5.03 each.  Here's the gross old and shiny new valve, followed by a pic showing the driver's side in place.



.


When I went to the passenger side, since Someone Has Been Here Before, the sprayer was just sitting in the hole - the plastic clip was broken.  It probably would have been ok to leave it, but while I was there... $4.01 for a new sprayer.



Once it was all put together (some new hose and new clamps also used, not shown), it works great!

-----------------

Only two other tasks to report, one gross and one fun.  The gross one first:



Yep, I spent half an hour under the car with parts cleaner and rags, trying to remove some of 12 years and 196,500 miles worth of grease and grime to make subsequent repairs easier.  I think I have grease in my hair...

The other task was more fun: replacing my perished BMW roundel on the back of the car with a shiny new one.  If you are doing this on your Z3 Coupe, know that unlike the front hood, this one is glued on.  I used a plastic pry bar and a little hammer to work it off.  Bling costs 33 bucks!



No comments:

Post a Comment