Friday, March 8, 2013

Diving In (Original Post: Oct 16, 2012)


Now that the garage is up and running, I actually have found some time to work on the Z3 Coupe. For such a clean little car, it has a good bit of deferred maintenance and old-age problems that I'll be tackling as time and money permit.  The first big batch will turn it (I hope) into a reliable driver that I can trust to go on a long journey if I choose.
This first batch of repairs includes:

1. Full tune-up: filters, plugs, belts
2. Change all fluids: oil, trans and rear end gear oil, antifreeze, brake fluid
3. Rebuilt cooling system - go here for what happened as I waited to get that done...
4. Replace cam cover gasket, to cure a nasty oil leak
5. Replace ABS controller with a used one, to fix ABS and traction control warning lights


I have been slowly and carefully disassembling the front and top of the engine.  If you're going to try that, there are two books you should have:



The one on the right is the bible, universally known as "the Bentley manual."  It's vastly detailed, about 3 inches thick, and costs $90.  If you only buy one, it has to be that one!  The much cheaper Haynes manuals are junk by comparision.  The book on the left is by the owner of Pelican Parts, an online supplier of parts for BMWs and Porsches.  Even though it says "Performance Projects", it details a whole lot of just regular maintenance.  It has the benefits of color photos and a chatty style that acknowledges that maybe you don't quite know what you're doing.  That's just right for me...

So, here's an annotated picture of the stuff I've pulled off so far:



I hope you can see the little numbers I added.  Here's what you're looking at:

1. Fan shroud. Has to come off to remove the radiator, and oddly enough, the only way to get it off is to also remove the fan!

2. That's the radiator, of course.  The plastic side tanks have become brittle - a common BMW problem.

3. The fan and viscous clutch (that's the part in the middle).  I've seen pictures of a BMW hood after that plastic fan got brittle and failed - I'll be replacing that too.  Incidentally, removing the fan takes a pair of special tools - a long-handled 32mm wrench, and a special fixture to hold the water pump pulley to keep it from turning.  I found mine on eBay for about $37 delivered.

I forgot to take a picture of those tools, but here's one clipped from the eBay auction:



4. Air cleaner housing.  Removed for access to stuff beneath.

5. Radiator overflow tank.  Even though that's plastic, Uber-BMW-tech Jack Miller tells me he has never replaced one.  Apparently, it's in a cool enough spot that the plastic doesn't get brittle.

6. The water pump - surprisingly small if you're used to Fords and Chevys.  The prior owner asserted that it had been recently changed, and it does seem to be shiny and brand new.  Haven't decided yet whether to replace it while I'm in there.

7. Thermostat and radiator hoses.  The thermostat is built into the housing, so you have to replace the whole thing (it gets brittle too), and it's electronic, so it's expensive...

8. Cam cover.  Jack Miller says I should replace this too, because they warp.  That's another $250 at least - I'm going to just try the gasket first and see if I get lucky.

9. Belts - a no-brainer while I have it apart.

10. Windshield washer tank.  Removed for access to stuff beneath.

Actually, that's all just peripheral stuff - the engine is completely together, and will remain so.  Just in case you've never seen BMW cams, here they are - long may they turn!





No comments:

Post a Comment