Friday, August 29, 2014

Z4 Window Reset (plus a windsheld wiper problem)

I had a weird problem the other day: the wipers stopped working in my Z4. Well, not completely. If I pulled the wiper lever toward me to activate the windshield washer, that worked, and the wipers wiped correctly. But, it wouldn't work in any other position. Obviously, the wiper motor and all associated linkages were fine, since they would work with the washer.



I checked the fuse box (hint: in the Z4, you have to remove the glove box to get to it) and there was only one fuse for the wiper system, and it was fine. So, off to Google, where I found the advice that disconnecting the battery would often clear this fault. I did, and it did. Wipers were fine!

But now, the "auto-up" function on the driver's side window wouldn't work. It wasn't as if it jammed and went back down. It just wouldn't even try. More Google... Turns out this is an incredibly common problem on the Z4 when you disconnect the battery. There is a reset procedure from the factory that is rather convoluted and poorly written. It's sort of a "voodoo dance" of press this, hold that, do it again. It also didn't work.

I found various permutations of that dance on the web, and kept trying them until I found one that worked. Later, I tried to find it again and couldn't, so here it is from memory, in case I have to use it again.

1. Start with top and windows up.
2. Turn ignition key to position 1.
3. Press the "window down" button to the second click (the auto-down position) and hold it. Continue to hold it for 1-2 seconds after the window is down.
4. Pull the "window up" button to the second click (the auto-up position) and hold it. Continue to hold it for 1-2 seconds after the window is up.
5. Lower the window approximately 4 inches (100 cm).
6. Raise the window completely.
7. Test for auto-down and auto-up function.

That worked for me. I am now an official voodoo dancer!


No comments:

Post a Comment