Friday, September 27, 2013

Sign of the Times

I love my little Z3 Coupe, but I am the first to admit that it's a "ten footer." That is, it looks like a new car from ten feet away, but get close and you can see plenty of road rash, a windshield filled with stone chips, and a few faded spots.  You know, patina - folks are paying big money for that at auctions these days!

We're planning a road tour with the Nittany Bimmers chapter of the BMW Car Club of America, and I decided to make a little sign to put in the windshield when the car is parked. Kind of a preemptive strike against those who might think, "That's not exactly pristine." It will be laminated, so I can write the exact mileage on at the show.  You saw it here first!

2 comments:

  1. 2 months ago I purchased a 1999 Z3 roadster with 115,000. I certainly don't have all the problems you are working on. I do have the ABS and traction control faults. My booster was leaking when pushing on the brake pedal. Installed a new booster but still have those 2 faults. I also have the 1188/89 codes so ordered 4 new O2 sensors. Engine purrs like a kitten. I did replace most of the brakes and strut/shocks hardware. I just discovered my OBC clock in the panel. Also a push button in the right panel recess, presumeably the fog lights. Thanks for all your documentation. Hal in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, Hal! I got really lucky in finding a complete ABS pump and controller on Craigslist. Good luck on finding one! Once you do, your 1999 model will be like mine - no ABS relays, so you'll have to cycle the ABS pump for bleeding using multiple hard brake presses like I did. Another option is to find someone with a vacuum brake bleeder - apparently that pulls the brake fluid through the pump, so no cycling is necessary.

      Delete