Thursday, June 1, 2023

A Substantial Threading Die Holder

 If you aren't the sort to regularly make your own screw threads, you might not be aware that the cutting tool used to do that is called a "die." And of course, if you are using the die to cut threads, you need a "die holder" to work with. The die holders that come with sets of threading dies are small, cheap, and prone to break at the worst possible time. So... I just finished making this substantial replacement:


Even if you use dies and holders regularly, you might wonder what those brass bits are for. They are guide bushings in various sizes. They install on the back side of the holder and help keep the die straight, ensuring that the resulting thread is also straight.


I made this from a published design in the Feb/Mar 2018 issue of Machinist's Workshop magazine, and pretty much followed the design published. Since that's copyrighted material, I'll invite you to buy a copy of the magazine if you want to duplicate it. Here's the link, but you can also subscribe instead, and that gives you the right to read ALL the back issues online. A much better deal, and it helps keep a great publication alive.


I began by making the body of the holder from 1.25" diameter steel. In this photo, I'm precisely boring the pocket for the die.


Once I had made the body, I needed to make a couple of handles, also from steel. Sadly, the only 1/2" stock I had floating around the shop was some hot rolled steel rod, which is genuinely nasty stuff to machine. It's almost impossible to get a decent finish on the cuts. Here I had a foot-long piece between centers on the lathe, and I'm turning off the black mill scale to at least try to make a shiny tool.


I cut the piece in two and prepared it for threading. The article had a good suggestion - use some threaded rod as temporary handles to use the new tool to thread its own handles. Talk about proof of concept!


After cutting those threads, I returned to the lathe to add the knurls on the handles. My hobby-grade knurling tool works great on aluminum and brass, but struggled a bit on the steel. Maybe my next project will be a heavy-duty knurling tool. 

Here's a comparison shot with the lightweight aluminum holder that came with my tap and die set. I don't think I'm strong enough to break the new one! 


I'm pleased with this new addition to my toolbox, and doubly pleased that I made it myself!





2 comments:

  1. I have free machining steel in various sizes for really cheap money, $0.00 and take what you need next time

    ReplyDelete