Friday, July 6, 2018

An Amazing Coincidence (Zuckermann Harpsichord Visit)

Way back in 1995, I spent a weekend at Zuckermann Harpsichords in Stonington, Connecticut, at a seminar on building their harpsichord kits. I had already ordered their "French Single" kit, and wanted some expert instruction. It must have worked, because three years later I completed this:


It turned out to be a marvelous instrument, with a deep, rich bass and good tuning stability. Mary Ellen played it for several years in the Allegro Chamber Orchestra.


On our 2018 vacation trip, we realized that we were going near Stonington, and decided on a whim to go to Zuckermann and see if it was still there. It was indeed, and there were even a couple of people still there from 1995. The owner, Richard Auber, was unfortunately not around, but a fellow named Steve was, and we chatted for a good while. Then he said, "You know, I got an old picture out just last week - it's on my desk." I was in the picture!


That's me, holding the shop Pomeranian dog, named Tiffany:


Even better, that picture was taken by Mary Ellen. Even though we don't remember doing it, we must have had a second copy printed in those pre-digital camera days and mailed it to them. We were all astonished to have "closed the loop" 23 years later!

I took lots of photos. I think if I ever get the urge to build another (not likely...), it would be one of these lovely little English Bentside Spinet models:


I'm going to store the rest of the photos here, for you to enjoy and for us to have in a safe place.
















No comments:

Post a Comment