Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Kate's MG, Part 10

Kate's MG has had its visit to John's garage, and greatly benefited from it! John is passionate about auto detailing, and has a couple of shelving units crammed with products from Griot's Garage and other purveyors of fine auto finishes. Since he was so instrumental in helping with the fuel system problems, I offered to help with the detailing, even though I HATE washing and polishing cars.

We started with the trunk and interior. I was happy to see that the trunk was totally solid, with no rust:


We cleaned the interior, and then washed the car. To be fair, I watched John wash the car. I was taking pictures, right?


The top cleaned up very nicely, and the rear window was quite usable:



SO, the car is washed and the interior cleaned. Done, right? Oh, not a chance! John said this car was getting the full treatment! Next was using a clay bar (in the gloved hand) along with Griot's Speed Shine to strip off embedded dirt:


It was definitely smoother after that, but that was just the start. Then John used a buffer to polish the paint.


Since I was the apprentice, I didn't get to use any power tools. I had to remove the polish manually. Just like The Karate Kid - wax on, wax off, with me whining the whole time. "My arms, my back, my shoulders! I'm an artiste - I can't put my body at risk! I have rehearsals to conduct!" John was unmoved.


Finally, that task was done. The next day, the relatively easy task of waxing and polishing was done.


And then it was done! Looks great!


Kate and her husband came by and saw the MG and drove it. They were astonished by the transformation from this:


And that's that. The car is on the market! Check out the VERY extensive for-sale ad, and share it with your friends!  UPDATE: The MGB has sold! Continue on to Part 11 for the rest of the story, and that extensive ad: http://emz3cp.blogspot.com/2017/05/kates-mg-part-11-sold.html


No comments:

Post a Comment