Sunday, July 13, 2014

Road Trip!

In the nearly three years that I've owned the Z3 Coupe, this blog has recorded a pretty good pile of work I've accomplished (with the help of some good friends) to bring it back from some deferred maintenance and looming problems. After all that, it was time for the Coupe's first substantial trip, and I couldn't think of a better one that to participate in the Hemmings Cruise-In in Bennington, Vermont, to celebrate National Collector Car Appreciation Day. The short version: great trip, and the car ran flawlessly! A 692.3 mile round trip, with the car delivering 25.4 mpg with an average speed of 48.4 mph.


Mary Ellen came along - brave girl. I told her that if the car left us on the side of the road, then that was just part of the adventure. I wasn't really worried though, since I had touched every major system in the car at this point. We drove to Bennington and arrived in time to get a good parking space in the lot. Good thing, since there were probably 50 more cars that arrived after the Hemmings lot was crammed to the brink. They had to park at a motel across the street. The event gave me a chance to use my Yoda sign - the mileage displayed was the actual mileage when I arrived at Hemmings:


I was parked between a huge late-50's Cadillac and a fine black first-gen Corvette. I took a bunch of pictures, far too many to include in the blog, so I posted them to a Picasa web album. See this link to check them out:


If you ever make it to a Hemmings Cruise-in, be sure to try the popcorn - it's great!





No comments:

Post a Comment